You surely have heard of the term sleep apnea before, but you may not have any idea of what it really means. To simply put it, it is an episode of breathlessness that lasts for around 10-20 seconds and it can reoccur several times in a night. This is brought about by a restriction on the airway which is possibly caused by relaxed soft tissues such as the tongue or tonsils. With this obstruction and the eventual pauses in breathing, there can be a serious threat which can be associated to the lack of oxygen supply to the brain because of the episodes of absence of breathing. For that very reason, there are devices are available to aid people suffering from this condition in getting uninterrupted breathing at night.
Listed below are few of the vital things that you should learn about sleep apnea devices and sleep apnea in general:
- Sleep apnea devices are actually for the purpose of placing the lower jaw in an appropriate position in relation to the tongue as well as the palate so that tendencies of an oral collapse will be prevented.
- Continuous positive airway pressure or CPAP is one of the most famous sleep apnea devices. What it does is help maintain a constant flow of air into the lungs in order to prevent constriction of the airways.
- CPAP is not a one-time use machine. It should be used at all times during sleeping and even during taking naps in order for you to take advantage of its effects. You cannot expect to use the CPAP device once and feel all better and free from snoring after that.
- Another kind among the sleep devices is a dental appliance. Originally, dental appliances were made to address snoring problems but then were eventually discovered to also help in easing problems in people with mild to moderate sleep issues after modifications on the device were done.
- Just like doctors who specialize in different fields such as psychiatry, neurology, etc., there are also professionals who specialize in making sleep apnea devices. There are dental specialists who can help a person who have sleep problems to customize a dental appliance that will be perfectly fitted on them and will be suitable for their condition.
- Before one can start choosing among the sleep devices available today, it will be best if they first undergo sleep studies in order to verify if they indeed really need to use a sleep device. Hospitals offer this kind of test wherein they test for the body movement, the brain activities, heart rate, oxygen saturation, etc., in order to determine if one is indeed suffering from sleep apnea.
If sleep apnea will be left untreated and that no appropriate measure was taken like for instance considering using sleep apnea devices, one is likely to develop further medical conditions such as narcolepsy and depression.
To get more information about sleep apnea devices and any other topics that are disturbing you at night, come over to our site: www.tips-for-better-sleep.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Elad_Grubner
Filed under: Sleep Apnea, Sleeping Problems